Fixed rate mortgages keep payments predictable and affordable
Purchasing a home is a huge life decision that requires many different considerations, and getting the mortgage that’s best for you is one of the most important considerations. HomeTrust Bank’s expert mortgage lenders help you understand the many different types of mortgages so you can select one that best suits your financial situation.
One of the most common types of home loans is a fixed rate mortgage. There’s a good reason this loan is so popular, especially for first time buyers.
The interest rate remains the same for the life of the loan—whether that’s 15 or 30 years. Your monthly payment remains the same too.
Fixed-rate loans let you borrow money for the long term, and lower monthly payments free up money to use for other investments. Fixed-rate mortgages are especially good for people who plan to stay in their home for several years.
30-year Fixed Rate
This type of mortgage provides a lower monthly payment for the same amount than a mortgage with fewer years. You receive a fixed interest rate that makes it easier to set a budget.
- Payments are predictable and more affordable.
- You can pay off your loan sooner by making additional payments toward principal.
- There is no penalty for paying off this loan earlier.
- While the interest rate for a 30-year loan is fixed, you will pay more in interest over the life of the loan than with a shorter-term loan.
- Think about how long you plan to stay in your home; this loan is best for those who intend to stay at least seven years.
15-year Fixed Rate
A shorter loan term and lower interest rates allow you to build equity more quickly. You can pay off your home faster, and you’ll pay less interest than a 30-year loan. However, your monthly payments will be higher than a 30-year fixed rate mortgage.
Let our mortgage experts help you get pre-approved now!